Salhuv Family
Click on Photos to Enlarge


Young Malka Salhuv


Yosef with his grandson Erez Salhuv ( oldest son of Avichai)






Yosef's story (told to his grandson Erez in Hebrew ( using google translation)
I was born in Libya in a city called Zlitan in the Tripoli region in 1942, the only son of Chaim and Shva Salhuv.,  In all the official documents my year of birth is 1939,  It is due to the Jewish Agency's restriction on aliyah, limiting the number who could board the ship to seven members of each family and no child under 10 was aloud  so they can survive the difficult trip , So  the family said that I was 10 and could meet the conditions of immigration, and so it will remain to this day that i am 3 years older on papers.. I also enlisted in the IDF at a younger biological age. We were a family of 6 people, I was the youngest in the family..  I was a very young child but I have a vivid memory dating back to world war 2 (the Holocaust). in Libya. I remember the Saturday when scarry soldiers who we called Italian "kalgasim"  came to our area which was under Mussolini's rule. Libya's Jewish population was subjected to anti-semitic laws by the Fascist Italian regime and deportations by Nazi German troops 
Back in Libya  I started studying in an Italian school at the age of 7. We were attending class from 8:00 in the morning until 12:00 noon after which we would rest at home until 14:00 when we 
 would go To a Hebrew school called "Talmud Torah". There I learned the Hebrew language which made it easier for me as an immigrant child after we made aliyah  to Israel. In 1950. Many Jews left Libya During those years. In the late 1940s, some 40,000 Jews lived in Libya. The Libyan Jewish community suffered great insecurity during this period. The founding of Israel in 1948, as well as Libya's independence from Italy in 1951 and subsequent admission into the Arab League, led many Jews to emigrate. From 1948 to 1951, and especially after emigration became legal in 1949, 30,972 Jews moved to Israel . We were a family of seven to board the ship to Israel. Our parents, my older sisters Rachel and Mazal and grandmother Yakuta, my father's mother who was 108 years old. Grandmother made the trip but died in the Pardes Hanna immigrant camp shortly after. In 1951, we moved to Moshav Zeitan near Lod. In 1953 we moved to Maabarat Akir, later known as Kiryat Ekron. It was founded in 1948, as Kfar Ekron, on the site of the Palestinian village of Aqir, and was named after the biblical Ekron, a major Philistine city that is believed to have once existed at nearby Tel Mikne. After the war, new immigrants from Yemen and Bulgaria settled in the remaining houses. In November 1948, two ma'abarot were established on the village's lands; the Aqir ma'abara, and the Givat Brenner ma'abara. In 1953, the Aqir ma'abara was officially made part of Kfar Ekron, followed by the Givat Brenner ma'abara in 1955. From 1954 to 1963, Kfar Ekron belonged to the Givat Brenner regional council. In 1963, the name of the town was changed to Kiryat Ekron, and it became an independent local municipality                                                                                                                                                                         In 1959, I enlisted in the IDF, as a Nahal soldier in Camp 80 - Pardes Hanna.After my service, ended I met my wife, Malka to whom I am still married, Malka, and I have three children, the eldest - Liora, the second - Shva who is named after my mother and the last  Avichai  He is the father of Erez-Yosef, named after me. I found work in the building industry After finishing my military service, I started workingI n Rehovot\ building homes While I worked in the building industry I was often called up  for reserve service, I belonged to the 688th Paratroopers Brigade until A71 and I was called up for reserve for a very long time periods. Upon my release from the reserve service, the foreman of the company where I worked called me and informed me that I was fired. I was shocked, because in those years there was a recession and it was difficult to find another job. I went to the labor bureau in Rehovot, since in Kiryat Ekron there is no labor bureau, and there I was given a different work arrangement for a construction company in Rehovot called "Zilberman the Drobles in the People." I started working there and the attitude was great, until they started calling me again, for long reserve service, often, and for many days. More than 100 days a year. In the last reserve of the year 1973, the foreman called me and informed me with these words "Dear Yosef, I am sorry to inform you if you go to the reserve you are fired." When I heard this my world darkened. The next day I met a friend who asked me how I was and then I told him I was going to the reserve and after the reserve I had no job. My friend was astonished to hear this strange thing and suggested that I write and interpret the word of Waltam - "Committee for Coordination of Reserves' ', and so I did. The battalion commander is one of the heroes of Israel and one of the founders of the 101st commando unit together with Ariel Sharon. And a fighter immediately at the end of the reserve period and so it was.